Monday, October 05, 2009

Our New Pet - Tarantula!

We had a pet tarantula when I was younger, & have always been on the lookout for one on any of our camping/hiking excursions, but without luck. I was so excited when my sister Liz called me last week to tell me she rescued a tarantula from her pool & thought I might want it! We got a little cage set up for her- with a screened lid and added 2 locks, just in case! But up until Saturday, noone had held her yet. I wanted to wait 'til I had fed her, and until she had 'settled in' to her new home. Plus, it had been lots of years since I've held a tarantula, and I've got to admit I don't know if I would've even yet if it hadn't been for my EXTREMELY brave niece & nephew! They REALLY wanted to hold her- she was sitting in the container that's inside her cage- so I just lifted the container out- & as I sat there with the container, trying to get the guts to tip it into my hand, he's coaching me!!! "You can do it, Aunt Bee!" "Just lift it up more" "Tap it!"

And I was very excited that we held her! Me, Porter & Katie. Now it's not so scary, but I am SOO impressed by my little niece & nephew! Porter & Katie didn't seem even the tiniest bit afraid to hold her! She went fast too- ran up from Porter's hand so fast that we didn't know where she was a for a minute! But we found her on the back of his shirt- Ryan said it would've been great to get a picture of it on Porter's shirt too, but I put her back in the cage as soon as we found her- it scared me that she ran so fast that we didn't even know where she was! Plus, we'll have lots of chances for fun tarantula pictures! So I'm sure we'll have more to come! (Thank you, Liz!!!) :)

2 comments:

Kathy C said...

Fun pics and story! I wish I could take credit for training my kids to be so brave, but... their mama was NOT going to hold that hairy spider! Kudos to you for still being brave though! I don't know how I thought that was fun when I was a kid...

DandE Family said...

Very brave Debbie, very brave!